A few days ago, I wrote about the importance of using brushes when you apply make up. and how it is the key to flawless makeup. You can read that here. Once you invest in a good set of makeup brushes, it is important to take care of them. You don’t want your brushes to have a build up of bacteria because it can lead to infection (skin irritation, breakouts). For this reason, it is important to clean your brushes regularly. Generally after each use, I spray my brushes with rubbing alcohol and rub them on a cloth or paper towel. Weekly or every other week, I give them a deep cleaning. All you need is baby shampoo (generic is fine).
Here’s how I wash my brushes:
- Wet the bristles only with lukewarm water.
- Put a few drops of baby shampoo in the palm of your hand and gently rub the tips of the bristles into the soap.
- Rinse only the bristles. You don’t want the entire head of the brush in the water because the glue that holds the bristles in place can become loose.
- Use a towel to squeeze the excess water from the bristles.
- Try to put the bristle back in its correct form/shape.
- Lay the brushes on an uncovered surface or upside down to dry.
Here’s another way:
- In a small bowl, mix water and baby shampoo.
- Put the bristles only into the mix.***
- Scrub the brushes in the palm of your hand or on a towel, but be gentle!
- Rinse only the bristles and lay them flat or upside down to dry.
TIP 1: Wash certain brushes together. For example, I wash my foundation brush and other cream brushes together because they need more work to get the product out; and I wash powder brushes together because they require less work.
TIP 2: Don’t lay your brushes on a towel to dry because the bristles can become mildewed. Ewww!
Continue to live agelessly,
Avon Rep Raquel, www.youravon.com/raquelhorn